You know that expression, "We'll cross that bridge when we get there"? Well, I don't like it....never have. I'm a planner - waiting is not my forte.
And now, I think I'm about to get to a bridge and I legitimately don't know how to cross it (or if I'll survive once I do cross it....since I don't really have the choice to NOT cross it). You see, one of my colleagues is getting ready to leave Malawi. This colleague has been my saving grace since I arrived. He was basically sent over here to help me transition and has brought an incredible wealth of knowledge (and small does of sanity as well). We balance each other well and have grown accustomed to handling our gigantic workload together, as a team. I'm not really sure how I'll be able to accomplish anything on my own but, more than that, I'll really just miss having a buddy around - someone who knows exactly what I'm going through and can bring an ounce of levity when it's most necessary.
I mean, it's not everyday that you're walking down a pitch black dirt road trying to find a hotel with a generator, illuminating your path only with a tiny little headlamp, and clearly very afraid of the dark. It's also not everyday that your colleague, in an attempt to comfort you, chimes in with, "Don't worry, it's not that dark. Plus, I've already been mugged in Africa twice and I'm fine." Gee, thanks. (btw, neither of these incidences took place in Malawi).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment