January 28, 2013

A little culture in Lilongwe...

This past weekend was a weekend of culture!  Friday night one of my friends cooked us a delicious and authentic Indian meal.  I think it was likely a combination of the amazing food and a little bit of whisky that put us into food coma for the rest of the night.

Homemade Indian food (at my old house!)
 On Saturday, one of B's colleagues, fulfilled a promise to make homemade Ethiopian food, complete with fresh injera!  It was probably one of the best Ethiopian meals I've EVER had - complete with a coffee ceremony to boot!

Coffee ceremony, post incredible homemade Ethiopian lunch
After recovering from our Ethiopian food coma, we got dolled up for Lilongwe's annual Burns Supper. I've heard about this event before (it's done all over the world in honor of the famous Scottish poet, Robert Burns), but I had yet to attend one.  It was very interesting, to say the least, and it turned into a really fun evening - including a "toast to the lassies" and a "reply to the toast to the lassies"!  We drank athol brose, ate haggis (just a tiny bit for me), and learned a few traditional dances....

G, the master of ceremonies
B with.....the haggis
My attempt at catching some dancing with my iPhone
Us, pre-dance party!

On Sunday, we had a small gathering of B's colleagues over to help advise us on our Chinkhoswe...or Malawian engagement (although, to be fair, ours will not be as elaborate as what is included in that link!!).  We're planning to have a co-engagement party with two of our other friends who have recently gotten engaged; the plan is to have a big braai (American-style) and weave in some of the Malawian traditions surrounding engagements.  I don't have any photos...yet (but will definitely have some to share in the coming months)!  

Overall, a very cultural weekend - complete with good company, amazing food (well, minus the haggis, which I thought tasted pretty good, but sort of freaked me out), and fun times!!

No comments:

Post a Comment