June 28, 2011

Life in the field

So....  A lot of people ask me what life is like out in the field.  The truth of the matter is that it varies quite extensively!  I've traveled to approximately 17 of the 28 districts in Malawi - (~12 for work, 5 for play) and it's always different, everywhere I go!  The one thing that is constant is that traveling out into the field requires a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of flexibility.  Those who knew me the best know me as someone who plans quite thoroughly.  For instance - this is what my "vacation" looked like when I was back in the US (Yes, I actually sent this to my mom before I arrived.  To my defense, she asked for it)!


I think it's just part of my nature and I think that if everything is planned, I can fit the most in?  Who knows.  Maybe it also leads to the most stress?  All I know is that here, it is the complete opposite of that.  I am forced to fly by the seat of my pants, admittedly more than I'm truly comfortable with, and it usually works out ok.

My most recent trip is one I will remember for quite a while....
Sort of pronounced like "cheesy"but with an s sound and not a z sound.  Yum, cheese.
 Our site visits went very well and then we needed to find a place to stay.  We found this place:
 
 Looked fine from the outside...


....and only slightly questionable from the inside...

I sat on the bed plugging away at my data and when I looked up, I noticed that the bathroom door was crooked.... 


Not by a ton (as you can see), but enough to make me feel a teeny tiny bit disoriented!  It also made it so that the door wouldn't ever stay open which was only a problem because it was pitch black in there (yup, light was out).  I also found one of those giant flat-looking spiders in there.  I honestly felt paralyzed with fear when I tried to kill it.  Then I promptly sat on my bed, put the mosquito net down, and tucked it in tightly all around the bed.  If there were more spiders in there, they weren't getting to me!

Now that it's winter, it actually is quite chilly at night.  Probably 55ish degrees outside?  Normally this is no big deal, but there's just no insulation here so it definitely feels cool.  I had to pull the covers up so close to my face because my nose was really cold (well, and I was really cold too!).  BUT the blankets smelled terribly...I swear it was like a 'sophie's choice' situation.  Bad smelling blanket....or warmth.  Bad smelling blanket...or warmth.

The next morning they knocked on my door to bring 'bathing water' (aka water that has been boiled).  I politely declined.  Oh yeah, I also had a rock in my food.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful at all times....but I was more than happy to return to Lilongwe.  We used that as motivation to get our work done quickly so that we didn't have to spend another night there!   

And now for two random photos from my recent trips....

Road block!  (They literally cut this down AS we were approaching.  We had to turn around and find an alternate route)
new use for a band aid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment