September 25, 2011

mystery berries?


Several months ago, K showed me a tree that had started producing berries (this funny sideways tree, to be exact).  I laughed when he told me that they were strawberries.  

"K, I know what a strawberry looks like and this sucker is certainly not a strawberry.  Plus, it's growing on a TREE, berries don't grow on TREES!"

"Eat one, try one," he pleaded with me.

"Sure, no problem..........  But you first".

He popped one into his mouth.  I followed suit.  It was as bitter as could be but, nonetheless, I was excited to have some "Africa berries" growing on a tree in my yard!  Two months later and the tree is now in full bloom with berries a plenty.  They turn black like blackberries but they don't have seeds like blackberries do.  They're really sweet and the color stains your hands if you accidentally squish them while picking them form the tree.  Yesterday little M was picking all of the berries off of the lowest level while I was picking from the middle level.  I honestly think we just sat out there picking and eating berries for 30 minutes straight! 

What are they, you ask?
 

MULBERRIES!  I'm not sure I've ever seen a mulberry before and now I have a tree that is producing mounds of them right in my yard - right outside my very window!  They are really quite delicious and I can't wait to get creative with the large amounts of berries we will undoubtedly have in the next few weeks.  

Also new to our yard (well, newly producing fruit) is a peach tree!  This yard gets better and better each season.  Now we have two lemon trees, a guava tree, more papaya trees than I can count, a mulberry tree, and a peach tree!  How amazing is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment